Wednesday 15 January 2020

Justin on the Anyone Can Play Guitar Podcast 11th October 2019

This, is really interesting stuff. 

Recorded at Northumbria University on the day of Editors' show there, 11th October 2019, here's Justin being interviewed backstage by the good folks at the Anyone Can Play Guitar podcast. This full length was chat was originally chopped and released over three separate episodes last year, but this is the first time it's been made available to listen to in full as a cohesive experience. 

Unless I've been believing a falsehood for the past 14 years, I think the there may have been a little bit of geographical  wrong-footing when we hear about the origins of Editors. I don't want to be that irritating fan who jumps all over every mistake, honestly I don't, but Editors actually requested Justin's services in 2012 for the two shows they had in Birmingham (where most of us were convinced they'd end up splitting), Main Square in France, a giant Werchter appointment and then XFM Winter Wonderland. 

It's rare that we get a full length interview that solely focuses on Justin, without any input from his fellow bandmates. I love times where I learn something new, in spite of my own occasionally complacent sense of the knowledge I already possess. It keeps me humble. This interview is full of such lessons. I won't detail them all, but the ones connected to Justin actually becoming an Editor were a revelation. Any notion of a smooth and orderly transition are dispelled pretty quickly. 

Before I heard this I know I respected Justin as a musician, I think even more of him now just as a human being. Well done to Ben an James for drawing this out and to Mr Lockey for being willing to open up. Enjoy ;)


brought to you with lots and lots of lemming-love :) x