Friday 8 June 2018

You just repeat yourself, stuck in another rut...

**UPDATE 09.27am Sunday 10th June - Vimeo got back to me after I sent them an email pleading my case, and they basically say that their hands are tied. Unless the people that issued the complaints get in touch to request that the strikes be removed, they stay in place. The IFPI have chosen not to reply to me, after I contacted them again to ask that they rethink the strike, so that appears to be a dead end. This is now one of those brace-for-impact moments where you know the crash is coming but you just don't know when. I'll keep trying, because the future of the Archive pretty much depends on it at this point. 

I received a message from Vimeo a couple of days ago telling me that this video had been nuked following a complaint:-


Apparently the acoustic performance breaches copyright rules of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, although I am at a loss to say exactly how. I don't get it. However, my lack of understanding doesn't prevent things from moving forward. Vimeo have a strike system in the same way that YouTube does, and this perceived transgression has gained me my second one. The first came courtesy of  a 3FM acoustic show I shared. One more and the account gets removed forever, and I lose everything all over again:-

This takedown will count as a copyright “strike” against your account. If you receive three unresolved copyright strikes, we will disable your account under our repeat infringer policy: vimeo.com/dmca#repeat_infringer. 

Repeat Infringer. There's a label I never wanted and I don't want to be perceived that way. That isn't what the Archive is. It isn't who I am. 

What's worrying about this is that the MTV Germany clip was posted in March of this year, so there was a delay of two months before it was flagged as a problem. It raises the question of how many other videos are going to be scrutinised and then complained about after the fact? The Archive at this point could, in theory anyway, be full of videos that have the potential to end up with my account being terminated and I have no way of knowing which ones they are. As Radiohead once said "We are standing on the edge..."

I'm going to contact the IFPI and see if this can be reversed but based on my experiences with YouTube, I'm leaving my optimism at home. I'll update if there's any news, but I just wanted to let you all know what's going on behind the scenes, sort of speak, just in case the worst happens and you visit the Archive to find all the videos have vanished. Really sorry to drop such dreary news on a friday.

Thanks everyone.

UPDATE - The response:-

Dear Sirs,

Many thanks for your email and the information you have provided.

The content (URL: https://vimeo.com/259579062)  was reported for containing audio from the track "God's plan" by the artist Drake - the copyright of which is controlled by Universal Music Group. 

Universal Music Group do not permit use of their content via Vimeo as it is not a licensed platform with regards to music content.

In future please research the contact details of the copyright record label and acquire authorisation before posting copyrighted audio content online.

Yours Faithfully,

IFPI

drew x