Sunday 24 July 2016

Tom on The Sunday Night Music Club 24th July 2016

Being a fan of this band can be brutal. You often find yourself having to listen to entire radio shows while they hold onto the Editors-related item until the very last minute; programmes on stations that I normally avoid. Previously, I have had to sit through hours of utter crap in order to get what turns out to be a 2 minute interview with a band member. The end result means that it's worth it, obviously, but some of the playlists I've experienced make me wish there was more cotton wool in the world to stuff into my ears and make it all stop. Nights when I look into the scarred black mirror that is my soul and remind myself that I'll never get those lost hours back.

But not tonight!

This show started off with Motorcycle Emptiness by the Manics, continued with Going Underground by The Jam, little bit of Bowie, some Depeche Mode and everything that followed was a complete breeze. Thank you, Danielle Perry. This was fun.

This was a pre-recorded telephone interview with Mr Smith (he's actually on stage with the band at Amphi Festival in Cologne as I'm typing this) for Danielle's show on Absolute Radio, 24th July 2016.

It's great to hear that they have a lot of material already written, and that they're going to adopt the In Dream methodology of holding up in a writing space in Oxford to get busy chiseling the ideas down into something more formed. There's also the frankly amazing fact that the next album will be the third with Mr Williams and Mr Lockey, which means that Editors II have now made almost as many albums as the first incarnation with Mr Urbanowicz. Ponder that, folks. My only hope is that before the cycle starts again, they manage to get at least some time to revert to domestic normality and get off the treadmill for a while, to recover and do some living before diving headlong into the trenches again.

All in all a really positive interview, which is always nice to hear. Enjoy the chat ;)

stream it here

brought to you with lots and lots of lemming-love :) x