Friday 20 January 2012

Some bad news, and then some more


Hi everyone. I think it's safe to say I'm having a bad day.

If you hadn't heard already, the Megaupload file hosting site has been taken down. Details are available here:-


This wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but unfortunately a lot of the bigger file uploads I've done here in the blog were through that site. Megaupload was a great place to store big files and the download speeds were usually pretty decent. The Pinkpop DVD that was done here recently took a good 2 days to get arranged and uploaded, and it is now unfortunately a post with nothing but dead links in it. So this morning,  I went right back to the first post on the blog and started replacing any Megaupload links that I'd made, and to begin replacing them. In doing that, I found something very disheartening.

A lot of the links I've hosted here have been taken offline, allegedly due to copyright infringement. This was a total shock to me, because I've said from day 1 that I will never post officially available material by the band. I believe passionately in supporting the artist, and I always will. As I've said on numerous occasions that I am first and foremost an Editors fan, and this blog is about sharing stuff with other fans or people who are curious to find out more about the band. No money is being made from it, and it takes a lot of my free time. But it's definitely worth it.

The only conclusion I can come to is that someone has reported the Lemming Archive to the various sites that have killed the links. The point is I have no idea who, which just leads to confusion and speculation. It's all really sad, and the exact opposite of the kind of thing I was aiming to do here; to provide a resource for Editors fans available and online. The kind of thing I would have liked when I first discovered them. It has never been solely about me as an Editors bootleg fan, more about all Editors bootleg fans.

So I'm going to go back to post #1 and start updating all the links. I've only looked at the first few I did so I don't know just how many links on the blog are actually lost.  I'll open a premium account with one of the other file-hosters so I can get Pinkpop back online again. This means that activity will slow slightly on the blog for the next few days, sorry about that.

In the past, I know that Editors and the folks that work with them had embraced the internet and tolerated, or at least looked the other way, when fans shared live recordings and stuff. I hope that's still the case. If it isn't, I can be contacted via the email address in my profile and I'll take whatever steps are necessary to put this right. Even if it means closing the blog down.

drew x