Monday 15 January 2018

Interviews from the official airing of Magazine 15th January 2018

First, a complaint. It's supposed to be the most miserable day of the year today, Blue Monday, and I feel like it's highly inappropriate for Editors to do their launch now. It's a publicity backfire that, in my opinion, could see them be forever associated with all that negative energy, ending up branded as a group of grumpy black-clad indie sausages as a consequence. They should have waited until the summer when they were back to their Macarena-dancing, tanned best and everyone felt a little happier. I'm just saying.

OK then, let's address the large pachyderm in the room for a second. Tonight saw the first public radio airing of Magazine, which is a big deal if you're a fan. I totally get it.  However, you'll notice that it isn't being shared here at the Archive in among the interviews on offer. It's purely a matter of self-policing and looking out for the band, and making sure that they aren't being ripped off here. Upside is that Rahi's video is dropping tomorrow morning sometime, so fear not, you'll be able to stream it and listen to it at your heart's content then. Plus you get to watch just what visuals that the track inspired in Mr Rezvani's imagination.  I can't wait to see it. But if you absolutely have to hear it right this very second, Spotify has you covered.

Because of the possibility of chatter appearing at any time on 3 radio stations, I had to engage my brain in a way I haven't had to do for quite some time to get the goodies. Oh the tension! Oh the mental acrobatics of monitoring all the outlets at once! What have I learned tonight? I have quite a similar taste in music to Gordon Smart on RadioX. Annie Mac? Not so much. No disrespect to her at all but I really have drifted away from Radio 1 over the years, and I understand why now. My personal taste in music means that there were moments of physical pain listening to some of the stuff. Pretty sure this is just a "me thing", and that's OK. The music world is big enough for everyone. Massive respect to Jo Whiley for kicking off her show with Earth, Wind and Fire's September though. Outstanding.

I don't want to comment of Magazine until I've had a chance to fully abuse my ears with it over the next 24 hours or so, but I will say that I'm not sure how it fits onto the Radio 1 playlist. Radio 2, maybe, and definitely on RadioX because it's the kind of station I used to tune in to when I was studying back in the day. Now that I've experienced it on three different platforms, and alongside the musical company they kept during each broadcast, Magazine feels like Editors have just gone away and locked themselves in a creative bubble and listened to their hearts and heads, rather than the radio. It's a good thing because they aren't pandering, and I hope that it reached people tonight who may not be aware of the musical alternatives out there. You just never know who's listening.

Enjoy the chatter ;)

Interview with Jo Whiley Radio 2

Here's the full interview with Mr Smith from Jo Whiley's Radio 2 show, which saw the band officially launch the single Magazine. Loitering in a back street off The Strand, he actually took time off celebrating EdiBow's birthday to share some words with us all. Congrats, missus ;) Biggest takeaway from this interview? The new album is called Violence, and it's coming out on the 9th of March. Oh, and they're playing the States again. Oh yeah. Enjoy the chatter ;)
stream it here
Interview with Gordon Smart RadioX
A pre-recorded interview with Mr Smith was played tonight on the Gordon Smart show on RadioX (formerly XFM), to accompany the airing of the brand new single Magazine. One thing that comes through here is how much respect Tom has for Editors as a live act, and how important it is to their longevity. He also confirmed that Magazine is a very old song, so old that there was even an attempt to record it with Flood (and we all know what that means). That's about 6 years of shelf-sitting, which is a little crazy. There's also a mention of the fabled piano-stool spill at Music for Life when he's asked about the worst gig they've ever done. Yikes. Ever wondered who Tom was not allowed to share a toilet with? I have an answer for you.  It's nice to hear him talk with such affection for Mr Rezvani, and I was thinking today just what would have happened had they met sooner? Can you imagine what kind of ideas he could have come up with for the videos for Smokers, or Blood or even Papillon? I would love to have seen his take on those songs.

One thing that's been obvious in its weirdness is how apparently unaware of the band's later albums and singles RadioX and Radio 2 actually are. In all the trails for Tom's appearance they played snippets from tracks from album 1 and 2...and nothing else. Very strange.  All that aside, there's nothing left to do but enjoy the chatter ;)

stream it here

brought to you with lots and lots of lemming-love :) x